engineering and Manufacturing
Accelerating Global Engineering and Design with High-speed Data Transfer
Developing new products and technology is inherently a team-oriented activity. Multi-discipline engineering, testing and design teams often live and work in different remote offices and remain connected by a wide area network (WAN) that supports all communication, data transfer, and sharing. Operating as a single high-performance virtual team requires a high degree of integration and collaboration, and the need to regularly distribute and share CAD/CAE files, source code, software builds, detailed design documents, test cases and tools, simulation results and other forms of IP.
However, traditional file sharing tools such as FTP and email or data synchronization software that relies on rsync are unreliable and impractical for moving large amounts of data and files across global internet connections, resulting in huge inefficiencies and delayed production. Resorting to overnight shipments of hard drives might expedite delivery of time critical data, but places an additional burden on teams to package, ship and unpack data. Most concerning is the increased risk exposure. A mishandled package or accident in transit can result in loss or theft of valuable IP.
As the leader in bulk data movement, Aspera software helps manufacturers and engineering firms overcome these challenges with a groundbreaking way to securely and reliably move, share and sync data at the fastest speeds possible, regardless of file size, transfer distance or network conditions.
Request a Software Evaluation.
Collaborative Engineering Design
Major hardware component design and manufacturing companies utilize Aspera software throughout their operations to share new engineering designs within their teams during development and transfer with external third parties including global manufacturing facilities in master processes.
Global Software Development
Millions of source code files for large, complex software products must move over thousands of miles in hours to support follow-the-sun development workflows. Small file streamlining in Aspera’s fasp™ software makes transfers of large collections of small files as fast as possible over even the longest distances. Some of the world’s largest software makers utilize Aspera to transfer millions of development files on a daily basis throughout global facilities for follow-the-sun development.
DISASTER RECOVERY AND BUSINESS CONTINUITY
To protect valuable IP, engineering companies need a fast and secure way to replicate source code repositories offsite. With fasp-powered transfers, high-speed replication from primary to backup sites completes within small operational windows ensuring your data and applications are protected and you can meet your stringent recovery point objectives (RPO) and recovery time objectives (RTO).
FILE ARCHIVING AND STORAGE
Once development projects complete, associated project files are no longer needed and yet can consume valuable storage, especially with large files such as CAD drawings. Improve the efficiency and utilization of your storage systems by moving older and inactive data from expensive high-performance primary storage to secondary remote storage.
DATA MIGRATION FOR DIVERSE STORAGE ENVIRONMENTS
Hardware and system agnostic, Aspera Sync can migrate an entire file system, or portions of the file system from aging or legacy storage to a newly provisioned storage system, preserving file attributes such as permissions, access times, and ownership. High-speed replication over the WAN ensures the migration completes in a fraction of the time of proprietary systems that use traditional protocols, minimizing system downtime.
- To simplify the system architecture, Aspera Sync offers a single application layer designed to meet the requirements of speed and efficiency as a single solution.
- Highly scalable synchronization architecture supports synchronization of millions of files and multi-terabyte file sets at multi-gigabit transfer speeds on commodity hardware, without requiring thousands of concurrent sessions.
- Built-in data deduplication is designed to achieve equal if not superior deduplication on the file system as compared to the dedup offered by proprietary storage systems, and effective compression ratios equal to or better than rsync.
- Aspera fasp eliminates network-layer bottlenecks and scales transfer speeds over any IP network linearly, achieving complete throughput efficiency independent of the latency of the path and robust to packet losses.
- Guaranteed transfer times when available bandwidth is known.
- fasp adaptive rate control is loss tolerant, reacting only to true congestion while remaining immune to inherent channel loss.
- fasp ramps up to fill unclaimed bandwidth or quickly stabilizes at a TCP-friendly rate when links are congested without squeezing small traffic.
- Aspera Sync quickly captures file changes through snapshots and file change notifications, quickly acquiring and replicating files based on changes.
- Aspera Sync is compatible with industry-standard networks, storage, servers, and operating systems, enabling interoperability across multiple vendor solutions.