Benefits of Cloud Computing
Cloud computing has become a viable, mainstream solution for data processing, storage and distribution. The cloud eliminates the risk of upfront IT investments and allows businesses to scale out and back by quickly adding or removing resources while paying only for the capacity they use.
Challenges of Moving Big Data
However, moving large amounts of data in and out of the cloud presented an insurmountable challenge for organizations with terabytes of content. A pioneer in the enablement of high-speed data-intensive workflows throughout the enterprise, Aspera has now unlocked the cloud for big data with its industry-leading high-speed transport solutions.
The Aspera Solution
Built on our patented fasp™ transfer technology, Aspera On Demand delivers scale-out transfer capacity, enabling efficient, large-scale workflows, with enterprise-grade security, a variety of client options (web, mobile, embedded), and applications for ingest, sharing, collaboration and exchange of big data, available as on-demand subscription services.
The Aspera Direct-to-Cloud transport is a one-of-a-kind fundamental high-speed transfer solution for moving large files and data sets to, from, and between cloud storage, currently certified and supported on the following cloud and CDN platforms:
How it works
Typical file transfer acceleration "gateways" upload data to cloud object storage in 2 phases. First to data is uploaded over the wide area network and written to the local vm attached storage. In a second phase, the data gets copied from the local storage to the target object storage. The result is a significant delay from when the transfer is started to when the data is readily available for use, and increases in local storage costs and machine compute time and costs.
Aspera on Demand with Direct-to-Cloud is built on the FASP transport technology, which has been deeply integrated with the underlying object storage APIs. Transferred data is written directly to object storage and available immediately when the transfer completes.
|2 Step Upload||Aspera Direct-to-Cloud|
As a result, Aspera On Demand with Direct-to-Cloud transport platform is enabled to provide high-performance secure WAN transport of files, directories, and other large data sets to, from and between cloud storage preserving all of the core FASP performance benefits:
- Performance at any distance – Maximum speed single stream transfer, independent of round-trip delay and packet loss (500ms / 30% packet loss+), up to the I/O limits of the platform.
- Large file sizes – Support for files and directory sizes in a single transfer session up to the largest object size supported by the particular platform at a default 64 MB multipart chunk size.
- Large directories of small files – Support for directories containing any number of individual files with high-speed, even for very large numbers of very small files.
- Adaptive bandwidth control – Network and disk based congestion control providing automatic adaptation of transmission speed to available network bandwidth and available I/O throughput to/from storage platform, to avoid congestion and overdrive.
- Automatic resume – Automatic retry and checkpoint resume of any transfer (single files and directories) from point of interruption
- Built-in encryption and encryption at rest – Built in over-the-wire encryption and encryption-at-rest (AES 128)
- Secure authentication and access control – Built in support for authenticated Aspera docroots implemented using private cloud credentials. Support for configurable read, write, and listing access per user account. Support for platform-specific role based access control including Amazon IAMS and Microsoft Secure SaaS URLs.
- Seamless, full featured HTTP fallback – Seamless fallback to HTTP(s) in restricted network environments with full support for encryption, encryption-at-rest and automatic retry and resume.
- Concurrent transfer support – Concurrent transfer support scaling up to ~50 concurrent transfers per VM instance on the environment. (Cloud storage platforms vary in their ability to support concurrent sessions depending on the capacity of the particular VM host-to-cloud file system architecture).
- Preservation of file attributes – Transfers can be configured to preserve file creation and modification times.
- Complete interoperability with Aspera Clients – Fully interoperable transfer support with all core Aspera products acting as transfer peers with the cloud storage, including Enterprise Server, Connect Server, Connect browser plug-in, Desktop client, Point-to-point, Cargo, Mobile, Outlook Plug-in and Drive.
- Full-featured transfer modes – Fully interoperable transfer support for all modes of transfer in these products including command line (CLI), interactive GUI point-and-click, browser, hot folder automation, and SDK automation.
- Comprehensive server capabilities – Full support for all Aspera server-side features including secure docroots, Console configuration of BW, security and file handling policies and reporting to Console.
- Support for forward and reverse proxy – Transfers to/from cloud environments support Aspera proxy on the client side in forward or reverse mode.
- Direct-to-Cloud White Paper
- Aspera On Demand Data Sheet
- Aspera On Demand FAQ
- Aspera On Demand Webinar