Aspera Add-in for Microsoft Outlook
The Aspera Add-in for Microsoft Outlook is a client software option for the Aspera faspexTM web application, which extends Aspera’s global person-to-person file delivery and collaboration capabilities to Outlook users. This lightweight software add-in integrates seamlessly with the Outlook client, with no software installed on the Exchange server.
High-speed Aspera transfers are initiated using standard Outlook workflow. Users simply compose an email and attach files or directories of any size; no additional steps are necessary. When the user clicks the "send" button, the Aspera Add-in automatically sends the attachments at high speed using Aspera faspex.
Aspera Outlook add-in is easy to install and runs automatically when needed; no special actions are required from the users to initiate high-speed transfers. The add-in runs entirely on the client machines with no software installed on the Exchange server.
High-speed email attachment transfers
The add-in will send files via FASP® high-speed transfers regardless of transfer distances or network conditions. Files of any size or entire folders can be sent as a single attachment, without time- and resource-consuming compression.
High-speed FASP® transfers
- Transfers are powered by FASP® — attachments are sent at high-speed, regardless of file sizes, transfer distance, or network conditions.
- Precise bandwidth control ensures the entire allocated bandwidth is utilized to achieve maximum transfer speeds, while being fair to other business-critical network traffic.
- Complete security with built-in endpoint authentication, encryption, and data integrity verification.
- Reliable transfers with end-to-end progress reporting and detailed performance monitoring.
No limits on email attachments
- Email attachments can be any size — there is virtually no limit since the attachments are sent using Aspera's unique FASP® protocol, using faspex™ rather than the Exchange server.
- Entire folders, of any size, can be sent without requiring any compression.
Interoperable with faspex™, Aspera Connect and CargO
- Aspera faspex™ is fully supported — attachments to emails originated from a faspex™ server can be downloaded at high-speed by the recipient directly from within Outlook using the Aspera Add-in.
- Email recipients running Outlook without the Aspera Add-in receive a standard faspex™ email with a download link. Users simply click on the download link to start a high-speed download of the attachments with the Aspera Connect browser plug-in.
- Standard web-based email clients are also fully supported using the Aspera Connect browser plug-in.
- Recipients who have faspex accounts can have attachments automatically downloaded to their desktop using Aspera Cargo.
- Email attachments can be encrypted over the wire, in transit and at rest.
- Attachments remain encrypted in the faspex™ server and are decrypted on the fly when downloaded by the recipient using the Aspera Add-in for Outlook, Connect browser plug-in, or Cargo.
- Built-in data integrity verification protects against man-in-the-middle attacks.
Seamless Integration with Outlook
- The Aspera plug-in for Outlook is installed on the client computer. No software is installed on the Exchange server.
- Senders compose emails and attach files using the standard email workflow. No additional steps are needed.
- Attachments are sent directly from the Aspera client to the recipient via Aspera faspex™, offloading processing from the Exchange server.
- Once the transfer is initiated, the sender can return to their work while the transfer continues unattended in the background.
- Threshold for file sizes - all attachments below the threshold are sent using Exchange, while attachments above the threshold size are automatically sent using Aspera.
- Filter for file types - users can specify which file types (e.g. zip files) should always be sent via faspex.
- Multiple faspex accounts can be configured and used when sending packages, and the default account can be specified.
- Download location - downloaded attachments can be automatically saved to a specified folder, or the user can be prompted for the directory location on each download.
Minimum Hardware Requirements
Refer to the minimum hardware requirements for your version of Microsoft Outlook.
Aspera Software Prerequisites
- Connect v3.6.0 or higher
Microsoft Software Prerequisites
- Windows 7, 8, or 10
- Microsoft Office:
- Outlook 2007 (32-bit) with 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2) and the Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 System (KB2584063)
- Outlook 2010 (32- or 64-bit) with, at a minimum, 2010 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Outlook 2013 (32- or 64-bit)
- Outlook 2016 (32- or 64-bit)
- Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.5.1 or higher
- Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Office 2010 Runtime version 10.0.50903 or higher
- Check other versions
The client can be downloaded for distribution if enabled on the transfer server license with the purchase of a client license(s). Perpetual or annual (recurring) multi-tiered licensing based on transfer bandwidth capacity, one license per installed faspex server
Also available as an optional subscription with Aspera faspex On Demand, with pricing based on usage and subscription term length.
faspex is a web application that provides an easy, flexible and secure collaboration platform for exchanging files of any size, over any distance.
Lightweight, install-on-demand web browser plug-in that powers high-speed transfers between desktops and Aspera servers.
Cargo enables automatic package downloads from one or more faspex application instances.